Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Esperanza Rising


Title: Esperanza Rising
Author: Pam Munoz Ryan
Required Reading

This book was a very sad book, but tells an amazing story about a young girl who has to live through many struggles in her life that all happened within a year. In the beginning of the book after the first page I had said to my sister, “This book reminds me of the Lion King” and after I had said this and kept reading, I wished I never would have made that prediction. My prediction was exactly right, and by the third chapter I was sobbing. Esperanza and her family had to go though horrible situations. I could not imagine being her, I think I would have given up.

I liked this book for many reasons. This book had caught my attention right away. The main character, Esperanza quickly went from a rich life style to a poor lifestyle working to help her family. I felt that Esperanza really does deserve her name, because her name means “hope” in Spanish. In the book they did a great job of explaining new Spanish vocabulary words. As I was reading the book I felt that I was there with her going though her situation.

Overall, I really like this book. I would tell everyone to read this book because it is a good motivational story. I like how the author told the story as she did. This story talks a lot about hope and how to achieve it and all the struggles Esperanza had to go though. I loved the ending of this story, this story showed how Esperanza had grown within a year and all the responsibilities she had acquired.

No comments:

Post a Comment