Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Yellow Star

Title: Yellow Star

Author: Jennifer Roy

Required Reading


When I first heard the title of this book I was hesitant about reading it. I knew exactly what the book was going to be about, I really wasn’t happy about reading another Holocaust book. Then when I first started reading I became amused with the life of Silvia. This book once I got started was really hard to put down. I can’t believe what Silvia and her family had to go through. I could not imagine being in her place. She had over come and survived a great victory. This book was a different kind of Holocaust book, this book didn’t talk about the torture or the pain that they had suffered. This book talk about how she and her family had out smarted the Germans. I really enjoyed reading this and think this was a great read that is for everyone.

Silvia and her family had survived one of the worst massacres in the world. Silvia was the youngest in her family. There were many parts in the story that really caught my attention, but the one that I remember the most was when her father had out smarted the Germans. This story did a great job of really getting to know the characters. It was really interesting to hear about the Holocaust in a child’s perspective. This book did have many sad parts, but I think it is a very well written story. I really like the ending, it really showed how much Silvia had grown though out the years.

I really enjoyed reading this book, even though it was another Holocaust story, but it wasn’t. I love the way the story talked about the Holocaust. I love how at the end of the story there was a unity within the camp. I feel like I have learned a lot from this story.







No comments:

Post a Comment