Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Weedflower



Title: Weed Flower
Author: Cynthia Kadohata
Required Reading

Weedflower is a great book, it is a story about a twelve- year old Japanese- American. Her story takes place before the events of Pearl Harbor and what her life is like after the Pearl Harbor. I can't believe we kind of did what Hitler did to the Jewish people. It is sad to think that America put the Japanese people into internment camps. This story really shows me how much we discriminate against the Japanese, this book also reminded me of 9-11, because we did the same thing to the Muslims in our country.

The main character in Weedflower is, Sumiko. She tells the story of what happened to her family after Pearl Harbor and their experience was during that time. She shows how horrible it was because of the loss of their home and flower business. Through out this book it shows the strength of her family that helped guided them through the rough time and situation. I really liked in the story that Sumiko and Mr. Mom decided to put some flowers around the camp to help it feel like home.

I really liked Weedflower, I feel that it is an excellent book and I would recommend it to all students and adults. Just like the other books that I have read the books theme was "hope". The flowers were the sign of hope. The only part that I didn't like in the book was the ending this is because I really wanted to know what happened after they had left the camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment